Happy, Shiny Portfolios!

It's always the details that can set you a part. Here are some quick tips.

1. When you upload a PDF of your resume, make sure the file name is either firstname_lastname.pdf or lastname_firstname.pdf.

2. Don't overlook the importance of developing your LinkedIn profile. Include your resume there as well as a link to your online portfolio. It is important to keep both places current and up-to-date. Add a reminder in your phone to update it once every 3-4 months.

3. Do not use a lot of senior photos. They are super easy to spot and indicate that you are looking back to the past. Your portfolio site should always be future-focused. It's there to help you reach the next level. One high quality head shot is really all your need on a professional portfolio site.

4. Always follow directions. The official directions for this assignment were available in D2L. The majority of you looked at this file, which I also believe I printed out for the class. If you want to get a jumpstart of making necessary corrections, see this link. (The one major change is that you will have until 9 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 7 to make any necessary adjustments) Please note that you MUST bring the original grade sheet and/or resume to my office with notes about what you changed before the deadline. IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO DO ANYTHING ELSE, YOUR ORIGINAL GRADE WILL STAND.

5. There is no need to emphasize that you are currently a student. Try to find a more creative way to label yourself. Think future employer focused. Being a mass media major is not overly special. Focus on what makes you unique.

6. Work Examples -- you can call this category many things -- put the best practice is to include teasers and a page of links to take interested employers to your work. Writing the teasers is tricky, but really necessary. If I hit example and go directly to your blog, I have ZERO context. DO NOT point out unnecessary things or obvious things in the teaser. Try to focus on skills. If you take photos, you need to include captions or cutlines with the photos. Again focus on your skills gained. If you have a lot of writing samples, be picky and only put your best stuff. Here are a few sample teasers for blogs from this semester written by me. Keep in mind these are quick first drafts, but I do hope they at least illustrate a bit about what I mean.

Surviving college isn't for the faint of heart, but this blog can guide beginners through some basics. As I wrote the weekly posts for the blog, I quickly realized how much research goes into creating useful posts for readers. I was able to feature a variety of media throughout the blog and develop some emerging skill sets in podcasting and video.

A deep appreciation for literature led to the creation of my book blog. Personally, I've been a consumer of book blogs and podcasts for years, which afforded me valuable insight into this topic. As I created weekly posts, I became more energized as I focused on bringing my love of books to the masses.

As more and more research on work and life balance crops up, I decided to create a blog dedicated to exploring the simple joy of pet ownership. Readers can take a moment to be entertained by the latest antics of my kitten and ferret. While the blog itself is lighthearted, I learned a lot about content creation by creating weekly posts with varied media incorporated within them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Place for All to Gather

Meet Michael Schurig

Homework options for Friday