An experience with tree planting

Going over my Grandmother's house was a daily ritual as a child in elementary school. Living on the eastside of Topeka, you might think at times you are in a different city compared to the west of town. Reason being that the neighborhoods do not give off a vibe of being well kept especially as a young person. Growing up I watched the seasons change and outside my grandmother's house after school, her lawn was the best kept; thanks to my Dad's work. Anyhow, the one thing that the neighborhood was missing was trees. Not saying there were not any trees because there were. But these trees were old and did not bear fruit, mangled branches and rotted tree bark. One day I come from school, and grandmother and I had a deep conversation about the Garden of Eden. What really struck me is that she said that if Adam and Eve had obeyed God, who knows what would of become of mankind. So with that I asked why don't we plant a little "garden of Eden" for the neighborhood. That way there can be something to look at other than her lawn. Two weeks later, the city of Topeka decided to plant trees through the efforts of habitat for humanity. The funny part is my Grandma never called them to do plant any trees along the road in the first place. God works in mysterious ways and every time I go to visit her house, the trees get taller and beautiful each time. 
Graphic by Jarin Downing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Place for All to Gather

Meet Michael Schurig

Homework options for Friday