Adulting 101: Credit Card Catastrophe

[Graphic by pikisuperstar]
By Glorianna Noland

Having a credit card doesn't equate to always using it.

Rule of thumb: if you can't pay for it with any actual liquidity or cash, you really shouldn't be paying for it with the card.

"But why?" one may ask. "There's money on it, why shouldn't I use it?"

The answer my dear, is what goes wrong when you can't pay off your credit card: high interest rates, late fees and the huge dent it can have in your credit score (considering that 30% of a credit score is based on your debt). Y'know, the thing that you use to prove you're not a risk to the bank so they can give you a loan?

Now, if it’s an emergency and you need those funds, more power to you

Various tips such as avoiding your credit limit (not spending more than is on the card), checking your statement, and setting up an automatic payment plan to avoid late bills can protect your financial future.


Even choosing a card that offers a long 0% APR, which will save you the most on interest if you end up maintaining a credit card balance most months.

Comments

  1. I think it's best if I stay away from owning a credit card right now. I have a terrible shopping addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a rule with myself that I pay off my credit card balance as soon as it goes through. This way I build credit, but basically use my credit card as a debit card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had a credit card and I'd like to keep it that way as long as I can.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Place for All to Gather

Meet Michael Schurig

Homework options for Friday