Adulting 101: Memorize those numbers!

[Graphic by freepik]
By Glorianna Noland

Yes, there are some numbers that you should have committed to memory, because life may be just a tad easier if you do.

Firstly, remember the phone numbers of those closest to you. I cannot tell you the amount of times I have talked to people who say that they don’t remember their own phone numbers OR the numbers of emergency contacts—such as family or close friends.

What if your phone dies, you manage to borrow another, and you need to call somebody? You’re going to be hearing a lot of dial tone if you don’t have those digits locked away in your brain somewhere.

Some people even recommend memorizing the number of your local bank manager or financial advisor to help you get access of your assets.

Now, while numbers are all important, there is one string of numbers you should have down to a T.

Your Social Security number.

It’s too risky to ever carry it with you or have it as a picture in your gallery on your phone (please never take pictures of sensitive information unless you’re prepared for it to somehow get leaked).


There are a few ways to protect your Social Security number, but the first defense is you. It’s up to you to memorize it, never have it on your person unless absolutely necessary, and keeping it safe when it’s not.  

Comments

  1. I think it's crazy the amount of people who don't have close friends and relatives phone numbers memorized. I knew them in elementary school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to memorize my parents phone numbers as a child, before cell phones were easily accessible. I am lucky enough that there numbers have never changed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going into college I didn't think I would need to have my social security number memorized. Looking back I'm so glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is definitely important to have most of the numbers in your contacts memorized. You never know if you'll have to contact someone when you don't have your phone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Place for All to Gather

Meet Michael Schurig

Homework options for Friday