Managing Stress: Exercise Your Brain


By Christina Noland

According to an online poll from the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, 14% of people use exercise to regularly cope with stress. Others reported sleeping, watching TV or listening to music.

But, wait, I’m too lazy to exercise or leave my den.

When you are super stressed and want a quick way to calm down, tricking your brain is going to be the way to go.

Find A Ball

Find a small ball with bounce to it. It can be a tennis ball or a squishy stress relieving ball (which would serve two purposes). Chuck the ball at the closest open wall, catch and repeat.

Why do this? Repetition is key.

The sound of the ball hitting the wall will lull your brain to sleep without causing drowsiness, especially if you’re super anxious. The small bit of exercise in bouncing the ball will be distracting enough to reset your brain as well.

If your ball happens to be super squishy, you know what to do.

Talk To Yourself
(Obviously don’t do this in public.)

There’s a reason you’re anxious or overwhelmed. Many don’t know how to start calming down once they’ve hit the top. Give your stress a voice and start addressing it the way you would comfort a friend if they were upset. Creating a dialogue between you and yourself tricks your brain to believe the panicked situation can be controlled.

Pro Gamer Tips

Stand up, if possible, while working on projects. Surround yourself with natural sunlight if you can and do not work in bed.

Practice strategic cursing. If something doesn’t go right while studying, such as a slow computer or unreliable Internet, “casually” let out your frustration when you can. Holding in stress, even if they are small things, build up over time.


[Graphic by Christina Noland]

Comments

  1. I talk to myself a lot and I can really attest to the fact that it lowers my panic or anxiety over a situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This funny because my boyfriend always talks about how I talk to myself and it really helps me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I talk to myself all the time, but I had no idea it could relieve stress!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Place for All to Gather

Meet Michael Schurig

Homework options for Friday